About Us

History

At historic Grove Cemetery, we celebrate lives. Continuing a 144-year tradition, we serve the community with dignified interments and assist in the customization of bronze memorials that are a tribute to your loved ones and what brought them joy in their lives. Historical Highlights The first meeting to establish a cemetery in New Brighton was held on July 12, 1858. A charter was drawn up under the name "Grove Cemetery" and the cemetery was incorporated on March 19, 1859.

It was a warm October 13th in 1859 when 250 people attended the dedication of Grove Cemetery. After the formal proceedings, guests had the opportunity to purchase interment spaces for themselves and their loved ones. Forty lots were sold. 

In April 1862, a committee was appointed to raise funds for a monument to the memory of Beaver County soldiers who gave their lives in the Civil War. The committee was discharged in 1874 because not enough funds could be raised. The monument plans were rekindled in 1883. Today the Civil War monument stands proudly, flanked by four canons, honoring the lives of the soldiers who were buried near the battlefields where they met their deaths. 

To us, all of Grove Cemetery is hallowed ground and prices for interment spaces are the same in all locations. Our prices also remain the same - whether you purchase an interment space needed for a loved one now or want to have peace of mind knowing that you have selected the space of your choice for the future. 

At Grove Cemetery, We Celebrate Lives. 15,516 persons are interred in this peaceful final resting place. Are you a descendant of one or several of them? Please contact us and we will enter your name, address and telephone number in our Family Registry.

Historic Grove Cemetery
Location: 1750 Valley Ave., New Brighton. The cemetery covers parts of Daugherty and Pulaski townships.
Incorporated: 1859.
Graves: Nearly 17,000.
Memorials: In addition to historic tombstones, the cemetery also contains memorials to New Brighton firemen and veterans of Civil and Spanish American wars and World War I.

Noteworthy Burials
Grove Cemetery contains the graves of some of Beaver County's most historic figures. They include:
  • James Howard Bruin, 1826-1916: Born a slave in Kentucky. Sold at auction three times. Escaped via the Underground Railroad and made his home in Beaver County. Served as a sergeant in Company H of the 45th United States Colored Troops during the Civil War. Married five times and outlived at least four of his wives. His third marriage took place on the steps of the Beaver County Courthouse as part of the county's centennial celebration in 1900. One of the oldest residents of New Brighton when he died at age 90.
  • Milo Adams Townsend, 1816-1877: Noted abolitionist, who also was involved in many other social reform movements of his time. Was active in the Underground Railroad and responsible for bringing abolitionists William Lloyd Garrison and Frederick Douglass to New Brighton for speaking engagements.
  • Sara Jane Clarke Lippincott (Grace Greenwood), 1823-1904: Noted American author. One of the first female journalists in America. Covered national politics from Washington, D.C., for the New York Times and was one of the nation's first female European correspondents. Contributed to leading magazines and periodicals of the day. She also authored several books. Her family home, known as White Cottage, still stands next to Christ Episcopal Church on New Brighton's Third Street.
  • David Stanton: 1829-1871: Medical doctor and abolitionist. Active in the Underground Railroad. Served as state auditor general and as a surgeon with the First Pennsylvania Cavalry during the Civil War. Was a cousin of Edwin Stanton, who served as secretary of war under President Lincoln.
  • Roland L. Kenah: 1831-1908: Owner of Standard Specialty and Tube Co. in New Brighton. Influenced development of the collapsible, seamless metal tube used for toothpaste, ointments and other uses.
  • Francis S. Reader: 1842-1928: Newspaper editor and Civil War veteran. Editor and owner of the Beaver Valley News, the first daily newspaper in Beaver County.
  • Joseph Hoopes: Died 1866: Naval veteran of the Civil War. Served aboard the USS Kearsarge, which sank the CSS Alabama off the coast of France in 1864. It is unknown whether Hoopes was aboard the ship during the battle. Died in March 1866 during a yellow fever outbreak on the Kearsarge while sailing off the coast of Africa. He was buried at sea. A monument was erected at Grove Cemetery in his memory.
  • Frank Rolland "Rube" Dessau, 1883-1952: Major League Baseball pitcher, minor-league manager. Played two years in the major leagues, 1907 with the Boston Doves and 1910 for the Brooklyn Superbas. Compiled a 2-4 record and 6.53 earned run average. Managed minor league teams in York and Decatur, Ill. In 1907, hit Pittsburgh's Honus Wagner on the hand with a pitch, knocking him out for the last 12 games of the season. Born in New Galilee.
  • James K. Peirsol, 1843-1927: Awarded the Medal of Honor by Congress for capturing a Confederate battle flag during the Civil War. One of only three Beaver County residents to be awarded the medal.

Sources: Grove Cemetery records and Mark Barnes.

Civil War Monument

A meeting was held on October 24, 1861, which presented the first reference to the Civil War. A motion was made to set apart "Lot 24, Section A", and the grounds adjoining thereto, to be used for burials, free of charge, for the volunteers from Beaver County, who may die or be killed in the service of the present war.

Also in 1861, Edward Dempster Merrick, through the proceeds of the Philharmonic Society, presented $50 for the purchase and installation of a soldier's monument. After the passing of a several years, the monument was finally erected in 1883.

On Decoration Day, May 30, 1883, the whole town of New Brighton closed its doors to business, and the merchants and citizens of the vicinity focused their attention to the veterans of their community with the unveiling and dedication of the Soldiers Monument at Grove Cemetery. The high level of local post-war patriotism during this era made possible the collection of funds for the erection and dedication of this monument on that so befitting holiday.

The soldiers, whose names are engraved on the monument, are not buried in Grove Cemetery, even though they are local soldiers. These men didn't come home. Some sleep where they fell on the battlefield. Others rest in National cemeteries, southern prison graveyards or may be buried as unknown southern trench burials. These local soldiers, also, did not necessarily fight or die in the battles that are engraved on the four sides of the monument, being: Gettysburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville and Appomattox. To etch the names of significant battles into the sides of Civil War memorials was the trend of the era, even though the local soldiers may have not participated.

The granite portion of the Civil War monument at Grove Cemetery was manufactured by R.F. Carter of South Ryegate, Vermont, and is made of Ryegate granite. The column is 21 feet tall, and weighs over 5 tons. A representative from R.F. Carter came to Grove Cemetery to assist in the erection of the granite column. Grove Cemetery furnished the stone for the base of the monument, which is 7 feet square, and at one time was surrounded by a nice concrete walkway. The cemetery also made the excavation and built the foundation for the monument. While transporting a portion of the column to the cemetery, Dixon and Molter, the haulers, broke through the bridge on the cemetery road, but no serious damage was done.

The soldier statue was 7 feet high and was manufactured by J.W. Fiske, of 21823 Barclay St., New York. It was made of zinc, as were many memorial statues of the day. Zinc soldier statues were cast in many pieces, and then attached to a metal sub-frame underneath, resulting in a finished statue when all the pieces were joined together. Different finishes were available for zinc statues, a couple of them being a faux bronze or a faux granite finish.

Zinc has a tendency to "creep upon itself" and as a result, the soldier statue had become so unstable that he was deemed unsafe.  Therefore, sometime between the 1970's and 80's, he was taken down. A new statue was placed on the column on August 15, 2015.
Fireman's Memorial
"In October, 1950, the corporators of Grove Cemetery gave permission to the New Brighton Fire Department to use the triangular piece of ground between sections H, C and B (today's Garden of Hope, Garden of Charity and Garden of Blessings) for a memorial to departed New Brighton firemen. In mid-May, 1952, a letter of appreciation from the New Brighton Firemen's Association for the piece of ground given them was received by the Grove Cemetery corporators. The memorial was dedicated on Sunday, May 25, 1952.

"Of particular interest is the bell, which began service at the Beaver County Courthouse of 1810. It was sold at public auction in 1877 to the New Brighton Fire Department. The bell hung in the belfry of the New Brighton borough building until 1946, when its weight could no longer be safely borne by the deteriorating structure in which it was suspended.

"Once the memorial was erected, in passing, a fireman would strike the bell twice, once for the dead and once for the living."
This section of text is taken from an article written by Mr. Mel Roush, of Rochester, who did research on the New Brighton Fireman's Memorial.